Mastering Survey Questions: 3 Key Tips to Outsmart Bad Actors Using ChatGPT
Those of us in the market research realm have been feeling more and more uneasy about the effects of AI and machine learning. We're constantly asking ourselves if AI is influencing our surveys and if it's causing any bias in the data we collect. And if it is, what can we do about it?
As a leader in the market research industry, Paradigm Sample is committed to staying at the forefront of industry trends, whether in technology or security solutions, reflecting our passion for continuous improvement. ChatGPT and AI represent significant developments that demand our attention and continuous adaptation to continue to provide our clients with the best data possible. Consequently, we decided to experiment with ChatGPT to understand how it would answer some of our panelist fitness questions from our database.
Based on our extensive research, we have uncovered three crucial tips to adhere to when creating questionnaires that yield high-quality respondent data for your surveys:
- Specific questions anchored around preference require thought and emotion – something ChatGPT cannot replicate. Questions like this also ensure you have an engaged respondent who actively wants to share their perspectives.
- When inquiring about a broader trend, it is important to follow up by asking participants why they made their choice. This allows you to delve into their thought process and ensure that they are qualified to provide responses to the survey.
- Keep the survey experience engaging and fun! We all have a responsibility to attract and retain participants who want to share their opinions.
Paradigm Sample stays vigilant in monitoring the progress of AI in the market research domain, ensuring its continued leadership in industry trends. To delve deeper into our expertise, we frequently publish insightful blogs covering various subjects such as data collection, survey programming, sample strategy, response rates, survey engagement, and much more. Stay updated by subscribing to our newsletter today!
If you’re interested in seeing the actual results of our experiment, below we delve into the capabilities of ChatGPT in addressing select B2B and consumer-oriented questions from our database of panelist fitness test questions.
For typical B2B questions, ChatGPT can provide generic trends about a particular topic.
Question: What technology is going to be critical for your business moving forward in the next 6 months?
Answer: [Disclaimer] Some technologies that are expected to be critical for various businesses in the next 6 months include:
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning – to automate processes and gain insights from data
- Cloud Computing – to increase scalability and accessibility of information and services
- Cybersecurity – to protect against growing security threats
- 5G Networking – to support high-speed and low-latency communication
- Internet of Things (IoT) – to connect and manage a growing network of devices
With a more pointed question, such as one specifying a timeframe or specific needs, ChatGPT cannot provide guidance.
Question: What positions does your company need to add in the next 6 months and why?
Answer: As an AI language model developed by OpenAI, I do not have a company that requires personnel. OpenAI is a research organization focused on developing and promoting friendly AI.
As a neutral AI model, I don't have personal opinions or preferences. It is up to each individual company to determine which positions they need to add based on their unique business requirements and goals.
Inquiries pertaining to personal preferences, emotions, and subjective opinions pose notable challenges for ChatGPT, making it difficult to provide practical responses.
Question: What is your favorite song and why?
Answer: As an AI language model, I do not have personal experiences, favorites, emotions, or personal preferences. I am neutral and do not have the capability to listen to music or have a personal preference for songs.
The choice of music is subjective and can vary widely based on individual preferences and personal interests. Some people prefer classical music, while others prefer pop, rock, or hip-hop. It is up to each individual to determine which songs they enjoy and why.